The number of Russian children adopted by foreign families has declined. Many foreigners want to adopt a Russian child. The process is considered very difficult, since several years ago amendments were made to the law, on the basis of which certain difficulties were created for the adoption of a child by foreign citizens. The procedure must be carried out on the basis of numerous legal requirements.
In general, adoption of Russian children by foreign citizens is allowed only in cases when they can’t be adopted by citizens of Russia permanently residing in the territory of the country or by their relatives irrespective of their citizenship and place of residence. Adoption of Russian children is prohibited for citizens of the United States of America and foreign citizens who are registered in a marriage between persons of the same sex in accordance with the legislation of the state in which such marriage is permitted.
Adoption is allowed only in the interests of children, taking into account the ethnic origin of the child, his/her belonging to a particular religion and culture, native language, the possibility of ensuring continuity in education, the opportunities to provide children with full physical, mental, spiritual, and moral development.
If a foreign family decides to adopt a Russian child, then certain consistent actions should be carried out by it. Potential adoptive parents must strictly comply with legal requirements.
Adoption of Russian children is prohibited for citizens of the United States of America and foreign citizens who are registered in a marriage between persons of the same sex in accordance with the legislation of the state in which such marriage is permitted.
The procedure for adopting a child by foreign families consists in carrying out the steps:
1) the citizens must initially contact the regional department of social security and custody, for that they prepare a special statement, and also prepare documents confirming that they correspond to the requirements of the authorities;
2) the chosen baby is allowed to visit for communication, then citizens should notify the guardianship authorities that they want to adopt a particular minor Russian child;
3) the case is considered by the Supreme Republican or Regional Court, after which a decision is made.
Only after a positive decision is made is it allowed to take away a Russian child to foreigners. Therefore, the procedure for adoption by foreign families of Russian children is considered quite complicated. To do this, you must perform the correct sequential steps. The court does not always take a positive decision, as it evaluates the moral character of the adoptive parents, their financial condition, housing conditions in which the child will live, as well as many other factors.
If foreign citizens decide to take the baby from a Russian orphanage or a boarding school, they must prepare in advance certain documents to be handed over to the guardianship authorities and the court. These include papers:
• a passport of a foreign citizen, who must be recognized in Russia as an identity document;
• a correctly drafted petition, on the basis of which citizens are asking for the adoption of a child, and it should contain a note that they were familiar with all the information about the children in the database;
• a questionnaire, including information about potential adopters;
• a subscription confirming the possibility of registering an adopted child at the consulate of the Russian Federation;
• a subscription allowing employees of the Russian guardianship bodies to inspect the housing of foreigners in order to make sure that there are optimal living conditions;
• a documentation confirming that marriage between persons of the same sex is prohibited in the country where the child will live;
• a certification in writing from the guardianship authorities of another country, which certifies that citizens' place of residence corresponds to numerous requirements;
• an evidence that applicants for adoption have passed special training necessary for all adoptive parents.
The absence of even a single document may be grounds for refusal.
Many foreigners want to adopt Russian children, but this procedure is considered difficult and lengthy. For this it is important to correspond with many requirements, as well as to prepare numerous documents. There are many grounds for refusing to adopt minors by foreign adopters. So, additionally, the restrictions specified in the legislation are taken into account.
In case of interest in adoption Russian children contact us and we will help you with it.